Thursday, February 8, 2007

A Treasure of a Book


A friend recently returned a book to me that I consider a real treasure to have on my bookshelf. I was introduced to MaryJane Butters this summer when I serendipidiously came across her magazine in a small grocery store that I rarely shop at. She spoke to my heart! I consider her the Martha Stewart of the farm scene. A real "down-home", grassroots type of person - but she could be a little intimidating in that she seems to be able to do anything and have energy to spare. But her values and love of family and women shines through all her writing. The book that I treated myself to just before Christmas is entitled "MaryJane's Ideabook ~ Cookbook ~ Lifebook", and it's all that for sure. Each chapter deals with a different aspect of farmlife (or urban farmlife or wanna-be farmlife). There are recipes and instructions and reflections on life and living. It's the kind of book I would be proud to have written and is a useful resource to have on the shelf. It would be a great shower/wedding present for someone who likes to be a do-it-yourselfer. Check out her website for challenging ideas on eating organically. http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/

1 comment:

HCOS support teacher said...

Yes, it's a beautiful book for sure! I just love the pictures in it, and she has a great style of writing. Very friendly. Dave laughed (good naturedly) when he saw it..maybe it was the name Mary Jane, I don't know.. but it's a great coffeetable book, too!