Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Convictions

Convictions can lead to discomfort and inconvenience.

Tomorrow I will watch a film that documents the practices of Walmart. I understand that many who have watched this film have chosen to not shop at Walmart as a result. Since I love to shop there - the selection and prices suit me - this would necessitate a big change for me. So I'm hoping my convictions don't kick in.

A new book "Knitting for Good" is written in a similar vein. The subtitle is A Guide to Creating Personal, Social, and Political Change, Stitch by Stitch. The chapter I just finished challenged us to read the labels of where our clothing was made and do some research to find out how ethical the manufacturing practices are. It's all about choices - making choices that lead to positive change in the world.

Sometimes I just want to remain ignorant, but that's the cowardly way out.

1 comment:

netablogs said...

I don't think I want to add another conviction to carry around that I do nothing about, maybe due to overwhelmedness or laziness. So, I think I'll skip both... but I will ask you to tell me what you think.. (please don't call me a coward to my face):)