I have exactly 2 hours of listening time to go on this book and I vowed I would finish it today. But it's not going to happen. The book does not appeal to me. Admittedly, there have been some intriguing ideas put forth. No doubt I would find a few more should I perservere. I won't, though, because my time is too precious and I'm not convinced that the book is important enough to warrant spending more than I already have on it.
Here are some of my notes while reading the book. Some I agree with, some I have problems with.
- It's all about me and everything is about Jesus.
- God loves us just because we are. We don't have to do anything more.
- We don't have to follow rules or have special ways of behaving or fulfill roles. The bible doesn't teach you to follow rules; it gives a picture of Jesus.
- Just give yourself over completely to God; give up your independence and become dependent on Him, accepting His goodness and love. All evil flows from independence.
- Live in the present. Don't fret about the past or worry about the future. Have no fear.
- Take the risks of honesty with everyone - lies damage all.
- Check your perceptions; check your paradigms. Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
What do others think of the book? Well, hundreds love it. So I won't bother to give examples of those here. Many don't love it - in fact, think that it is harmful. Here are a few examples to get you thinking.